Monday, May 5, 2008

More Fun Playing with Jewish Soul Food

Salami & Eggs is a culinary treat that certainly qualifies as Jewish Soul Food. I'm not the only one cooking it, eating it, or writing about it. Heck, the late comedian Alan King named his autobiography after it, sort of: Is Salami and Eggs Better than Sex?: Memoirs of a Happy Eater by Alan King, Mimi Sheraton.

We had an ample of supply of Kosher Salami (spicy, yet) from Boris' Kosher Meats left after Passover.





We also had a good supply of eggs from the Blue Egg Farmer. It doesn't take much more than that - a good skillet - to get Salami & Eggs!

First, slice the salami into even rounds, and place in a skillet that is already hot and at medium heat. Allow it to cook down - if using a good product like this, you won't need to add any fat to the pan; the salami will render plenty.





Crack the eggs (4, in this case) into a bowl and beat lightly with a fork or whisk. Because this is a fleischik [meat] dish, we do not add any milk to the eggs (though I will put butter on my toast - meshuggenah, isn't it?).

Turn the salami slices to ensure they are browned on both sides, then drizzle the eggs over them







Once the eggs are set - flip!



We enjoyed ours with a couple of slices of toasted challah bread. And I like ketchup with mine - even though I usually only eat mustard with salami - I like ketchup with my eggs - and ketchup trumps mustard, I guess.



Ah, yes - it is fun to play with Jewish Soul Food - especially when it is salami & eggs!

3 comments:

  1. Salami and eggs is my earliest cooking memory. My dad (a Bensonhurst native) used to make it before eating somewhat healthy food invaded my house, displacing this from the weekend breakfast rotation. His technique was a bit different than yours, but thanks for the memory trip. Now for an egg cream . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - with Kosher for Passover U-Bet Syrup (made only with sugar and no high fructose corn syrup).

    ReplyDelete
  3. We even ordered the pump for the top of the U-Bet jar (which mysteriously never arrived . . .)

    ReplyDelete