Friday, December 26, 2008

Even More Fun With Chanukah Food-Noodles and Cheese

Fried Noodle Pudding, or Lokshen Kugel is another Chanukah staple dish. A cousin to the Lokshen Kugel, via Poland, is Halusky, or noodles and cottage cheese. Throughout my childhood, a big bowl of noodles (or small shell pasta) and cottage cheese, served with a glass of ice-cold milk, represented the best kind of comfort food. My mother's mother - my dear Grandma Lillie - was of Polish descent, and it was from her that my mother learned this simple, inexpensive dish.

I recently had occasion to learn more about this dish, in connection with a Hospitality project I'm working on. My mother's version was quite simple: melt some butter into the cooked pasta, stir through some cottage cheese (Friendship brand was, and still is, de rigueur) and top with copious quantities of black pepper.

The "mother recipe" of Halusky takes this treat one step further. And since we remain awash in cooked noodles from our Cincinnati gig, and since Bob scored me a container of Friendship Pot Cheese from Heinen's, and since it's still Chanukah - I went for it!



Begin by caramelizing onions in fat - I used Ghee. Season with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.



Add the cooked noodles and stir well to combine. Allow to heat through, then empty pan into a warmed bowl.



Top with cottage cheese of your choice.






Grate as much fresh black pepper as you think it needs - then add a little more. The cottage cheese soaks it up.



Combine thoroughly, and eat. Preferably with a large glass of cold milk!



I'd never made this dish with caramelized onions before - wow! Who knew there was another great way to play with Noodles & Cheese?



4 comments:

  1. Yum! It's like an inside out pieroge. Noodle and cottage cheese is one of my Dad's favorite comfort foods. I agree with you on Freindship cottage cheese. It's the only one I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane - does your Dad add the caramelized onions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with a similar version of this which included a nice dollop of sour cream. Great comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi - does your family have a name for the dish?

    ReplyDelete