Monday, July 14, 2008

Fun Playing With Kalie's Diner Food

I love a good diner. Growing up on Long Island, and going to school in NYC, it seemed that there were diners everywhere, serving freshly made, inexpensive, tasty food. The diner is a little harder to come by here in Cleveland, and they are almost never the art deco, stand-alone places that I grew up with.

My current favorite is Kalie's Family Restaurant, 4446 Mayfield Road, South Euclid Ohio (216) 382-4490. They are open 7 days for breakfast and lunch, and they make most things from scratch. The last time I lunched there, I didn't have my camera, but yesterday, I was prepared!

They offer a choice of 4 or 5 open-face lunch specials for $6.99, including roast beef, tuna salad, sloppy joe, and I'm blanking on the others. The special includes a side of potato salad and a cup of soup. I opted for the Sloppy Joe Special.

Since I've been nursing a sore throat the last couple of days, Chicken Soup sounded good to me. But Creamy Chicken?


Creamy Chicken Soup



This was just what the doctor ordered! Not too creamy or heavy, with fresh chicken and vegetables.


Sloppy Joe

I'm not a big Sloppy Joe eater - my mom's ground beef rotation consisted of meat loaf, meatballs, and hamburgers, so this dish has never had great appeal. But when our server said it was the cook's grandma's recipe - well - we had to try it!





I really liked this - not too salty (so you know it was not from a can), fresh spices that I couldn't exactly place - but I knew I liked them! Just enough tomato and a little caramelization - yum!


Potato Salad

The potato salad is made from scratch. It contains bits of corn, pepper, green beans, red onion and a dusting of orange zest. Unusual - yet most delicious.


Sloppy Joe Sandwich with Side of Home Fries

Bernie offered me a taste of his potatoes - which were made from scratch also, and had just a touch of seasoning. Delicious.


Gyro Sandwich



What's wrong with this picture? They forgot the tomatoes! No problem - a plate came to the table immediately when this was brought to our server's attention. Arkansas tomatoes from the farmers' market (they had stopped buying food service tomatoes due to the Salmonella scare). Another yum, accompanied by very attentive and pleasant service.

I should also note that the last time I ate in (and also the last time I took out), I enjoyed their tuna salad. Made from scratch and not a food service package, the tuna salad does not have celery - and since I hate raw celery, this makes me happy. I even like the sweet relish (I know, it has pickle) that they do put into it.

Kalie's is highly recommended for fun playing with diner food on the East Side of Cleveland!



No comments:

Post a Comment