Saturday, July 12, 2008

More Fun Playing with Birthday Treats

Yesterday turned into a little bit of a nutty day. I had some business to attend to at the office, and was finished by lunchtime. As it happened, though, everyone else at the office had other lunch plans, so I wound up on my own on my actual birthday. I decided to get a few more things done, run a few errands, and then quench the sudden urge I had for sushi at the new Pacific East Eton, 28601 Chagrin Blvd., Suite 850, Woodmere, Ohio, (216) 765-1305.

By the time I took my seat at the sushi bar, is was after 2:30pm (and they close between 3 and 5 pm). The sushi chef was pleasant, but didn't want to recommend anything because he didn't know me. Since it was so late (and I'd be having a big dinner at Lola in a few hours), I decided to keep it light and simple. I selected the Maki Combo Lunch: Soup, Salad and two Maki Rolls.




Miso Soup

My first taste of this location of Pacific East was perfect. Not too salty, not too fishy, loaded with little dices of tofu and exquisitely fresh greens, this soup really whet my whistle for the fish to come.


Salad


This lovely salad contained crisp, tasty greens and was topped by a slightly peanutty dressing.



Since they were about to break off service for a couple of hours, all of the fish in the sushi bar case was wrapped up. It all looked fantastic!






Salmon and Tuna Maki Rolls

I don't usually order Salmon at sushi bars, but since it is in season now, I thought I'd take a chance.







Both rolls were perfect. Pristine fish, perfectly prepared sushi rice, and fresh nori. Most of us don't pay a lot of attention to the nori (it is, basically, fishwrap) - but this time, it caught my attention. It had a slightly oceanic flavor to it, and was so pliable that I had no trouble biting through it, so I could eat each piece in two delicate bites (instead of cramming the whole thing into my mouth like Chairman Kaga) without having to tug at it, or worse, without the roll coming apart.

I can't wait to get to Pacific East Eton for a more extensive meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment